WE ARE HIRING
BackCountry Blooms is a seasonal cut flower farm owned by Amie and Molly, a daughter-in-law and mother-in-law duo, located in the Whitevale area of Lumby. We sell our flowers to grocery stores and by flower subscriptions and farm sales. We grow a wide variety of annuals and perennials in 3 locations (3kms radius). We grow as natural as possible and strive to efficiently produce quality flowers.
About the position
This position is for someone with a passion for agriculture, an interest in local sustainable cut flower production, is process oriented, works well in a fast paced environment, has excellent communication skills, is detail oriented and committed to quality. Individual will work alongside the two of us but will also work independently to perform tasks.
We are looking for someone to start mid April to October with the potential to work reduced hours in November/December for wreath making
Hours per week will be 30 hours week
-April, May and after our first frost - 6 hours shifts Monday-Friday(can be flexible)
- June to September set schedule of 8 hour workdays Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays (split shifts available) with floating 6 hours to be worked either Tuesdays or Thursdays.
-Workdays start at 6-8AM depending on time of season and weather (ex. early spring and late fall we start later in the morning, during a heat wave we start as early as possible).
We offer $17/hour to start with no experience (negotiable if you have agricultural experience).
Able to share excess flowers and seasonal veggies from our family gardens.
-Harvesting and post-harvesting
-Preparing cut flowers for sale including bouquet making
-General farm tasks ie. soil/bed preparation, seeding/transplanting, irrigation, and weeding
- Physically capable of carrying out tasks which require the ability to bend, stand, kneel and squat for long periods of time,
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, whether it’s raining, sweltering, or beautiful outside.
- Ability to work fast and smart with a positive attitude in both a team environment and independently
- Ability to follow detailed instructions and complete tasks in a timely manner and has confidence to ask questions when tasks or expectations are unclear
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with prioritizing and time management skills
- Takes initiative and committed to improving processes
- Attention to detail and quality
- Ability to commit to a semi-flexible work schedule
- Must have reliable means of transport
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org 1 page (MAXIMUM) letter of interest telling us why you’re interested in this role, and what you would bring to our team. Also include your resume (maximum 2 pages) and at least 1 professional reference.
While we thank all those who apply, only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. ONLY applications from Canadian residents (or people with a valid work visa will be considered).